The below article provides examples on the type of financial assistance seniors may receive based on the country they live in. The options in this article are specific to Australians and you can learn about further financial programs for seniors at http://lowincomeloansaustralia.com.au/pensioner-loans/.
If you are a senior over the age of 65-years old and living in Australia, you are entitled to an array of special benefits to provide financial assistance. The Australian government offers various benefits for seniors that are oftentimes based on the income level and age. These benefits can offset some of your regular household bills to make money management easier for you. Below is a listing of some of the benefits you may be eligible for, as well as, several Australian charities that can help seniors.
Centrelink is a governmental agency that handles the processing of providing financial support funds to seniors throughout Australia. To apply for these benefits, you must contact your local Centrelink office either in person, by phone, or by mail, or visit the Centrelink website to complete an online application. Once your application is reviewed, they will schedule a face-to-face meeting to determine your eligibility. Below is a look at some of the benefits you may qualify for.
- Age Pension. This benefit is designed specifically for seniors who are over the age of 65-years old. The purpose of this benefit is to help seniors financially during their retirement years. You must meet the residential and income requirements in order to qualify. You could receive as much as $842.80 per fortnight for a single, or $1,270.60 per fortnight for couples. This total includes payments for Pension Supplement and the Clean Energy Supplement.
- Work Bonus. This benefit is for those people who are of Age Pension, but have decided to continue working. It is a partial Age Pension payment and is based on your income and the number of hours you work each week.
- Carers Allowance. This allowance will help offset some of the costs involved in caring for someone who is aged and their health is failing. Eligibility for this benefit is not based on income, but both the carer and the person being cared for must meet residency and health eligibility. The payment for this allowance is currently $188.20 per fortnight.
- Rent Assistance. Depending on your income, you may also be eligible to receive help paying for your rent. The exact amount of your rental assistance will depend on your current income and family size. You will likely be responsible for the remaining portion of your rent payments.
- Pensioner Concession Card. Each state and territory in Australia offers its own concession card. This card is specifically designed for seniors receiving Age Pension and is used to get a discount on various things, such as medicine, medical expenses, property rates, water rates, vehicle registration and energy bills.
There are also several charities in Australia that are designed to help seniors with some of the basic expenses. Each charity has its own set of eligibility guidelines that determine if you qualify for services. Below is a look at some of these charities.
- Meals on Wheels. This program delivers warm meals to seniors, and their caregivers, who have a difficult time cooking their own meals. These meals are delivered right to the senior’s home by a Meals on Wheels volunteer. Each state has their own Meals on Wheels program, so eligibility requirements may vary.
- Community Care. These services are designed to help seniors remain in their home for a longer period of time. They help by providing home care assistance and home repairs and renovations that are required to keep the senior safe. A home assessment is done to determine eligibility.
- Food Banks. Each state and territory in Australia handles its own food bank program, but basically these services provide supplement food to low-income people, including seniors. Those who qualify can pick up food at regular intervals throughout the year to offset the overall cost they need to spend on food.
These great benefits can help seniors manage their money better and can help them live more comfortably in their retirement years. For more information or to see if you qualify, complete an application with the Centrelink office, or contact each charity individually. This can be a great opportunity to help you out with any financial issues you may be having.